KingsWay international

What is the Code of Practice?

The Code of Practice is a document which provides a framework for service delivery by educational providers and their agents to international students. The Code sets out the minimum standards of advice and care that are expected of educational providers with respect to international students. The Code applies to pastoral care and provision of information only, and not to academic standards.

CLICK HERE to go to the Ministry Of Education website for further information.

A summary of the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students

The code sets standards for educational providers to ensure that:

• High professional standards are maintained
• The recruitment of international students is undertaken in an ethical and responsible manner
• Information supplied to international students is comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date
• Students are provided with information prior to entering into any commitments
• Contractual dealings with international students are conducted in an ethical and responsible manner
• The particular needs of international students are recognised
• International students under the age of 18 are in safe accommodation
• All providers have fair and equitable internal procedures for the resolution of international student grievances

Full details of what is covered can be found in the Code itself

For different languages of the Code of Practice, please click here

Who does it apply to?

The Code applies to all education providers in New Zealand with students enrolled on international study permits. The Code is mandatory to these providers and must be signed by them.

How do I know if an educational provider has signed the Code?

The New Zealand Ministry of Education will maintain a register of all signatories to the Code. This list will be available from If the educational provider that you are seeking to enrol with is not a signatory to the Code, you will not be granted a permit from the New Zealand Immigration Service and you will not be able to study at that institution.

What do I do if something goes wrong?

If you have concerns about your treatment by your educational provider or by an agent of the provider, the first thing you must do is contact the Principal, the International Student Director or another person who has been identified to you as someone that you can approach about complaints at your institution. The Code requires that institutions to have fair and equitable internal grievance procedures for students and you need to go through these internal processes before you can take the complaint any further.

If your concerns are not resolved by the internal grievance procedures, you can contact the International Education Appeal Authority (IEAA).

What is the International Education Appeal Authority (IEAA)?

The IEAA is an independent body established to deal with complaints from international students about pastoral care aspects of advice and services received from their educational provider or the provider’s agents. The IEAA enforces the standards in the Code of Practice.

You can write to the IEAA at:

The International Education Appeal Authority
C/- Ministry of Education
PO Box 1666


KingsWay School | PO Box 54, Red Beach, 0945
KingsWay Senior Campus : 100 Jelas Road, Red Beach | +64-9-427-0900 |
KingsWay Junior Campus : 2 Bonair Crescent, Silverdale | +64-9-421-9350 |